Managing Librarian, Young Adult Services
The New York Public Library, Mid-Manhattan Library
December 2016 – Present
Creating the young adult department at the Mid-Manhattan Library. As the flagship circulating library of NYPL, Mid-Manhattan Library will soon undergo a renovation. Primary duties of this position include building out dedicated young adult services, fostering an environment for young adult patrons in the library and engaging them in programming, advising and planning the flagship library for teens in the new facility.
Librarian, Senior, Teen Librarian
Broward County Library, Main Library
December 2015 – December 2016
The primary responsibility of this position was creating, opening and operating The Studio, an innovative digital arts teen space for the Main Library. Duties included coordinating creative teen programs, working across departments to re-envision and remake the flagship facility into a more dynamic library, coordinating the Teen Advisory Board, providing reference service across adult and youth services, and supervision of professional and paraprofessional staff in the Youth Services section. During my time here, The Studio underwent a soft-opening and saw over 200 unique teens and continues today.
Librarian 2, Children’s Department Manager
Miami-Dade Public Library System
February 2015 – December 2015
Planning and coordinating Children’s Department events at the North Dade Regional Library with Children’s Department staff.
Duties ranged from: presenting and performing juvenile storytimes and activities with age appropriate stories, bibliographic instruction, facilitating partnerships with organizations to provide services to young patrons, and engaging branch staff in children’s department programming throughout the year.
Major departmental goals:
- Outreach to the local schools, religious groups, and local organizations to enhance community relationships and bring about awareness of library services to nonusers
- Weeding, collection development, and increased circulation
- Implementing new, engaging programs for youth
- Coordinating system-wide collection purchases
- Managing brief MARC records to ensure appropriate and efficient selections
- Cultivating the Materials budget based on circulation, library size, and community evaluation to ensure optimization of a limited budget
- Presenting financial reports of budget analysis, fund expenditures, and areas of concern and greatest need
- Maintaining accounts with numerous vendors and approving all invoices through County’s Shared Services department to ensure a balanced Material’s Budget
- Engaging in vendor presentations to determine purchases of databases and other resources; working with new vendors to set up financial accounts and recordkeeping of the appropriate paper and electronic documentation
- Managing special Honor With Books and grant orders for materials purchased by the Friends of the Library
Other projects included:
- Proposing and implementing the Library’s new Lucky Day Collection, where best sellers are readily available to the public on display, sans hold requests and renewals, at specific branches.
- Managing the closure of Model City Branch library to ensure the collection was appropriately weeded and downsized to fit into a new temporary location
Funded by the Knight Foundation, YOUmedia Miami exceeded initial registration goals and signed up over 600 teens in the City of Miami Gardens during my time there. The program continues today and has since expanded to South Dade Regional Library — see more via the Miami-Dade Public Library System website.
YOUmedia Miami was in the first cohort of learning labs of the YOUmedia Network, and centers on the principle of Connected Learning. Learn more via the YOUmedia Network.
Circulation Desk Coordinator
Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center
October 2011 – October 2012
Night manager of Circulation Desk
Urban Librarians Unite
Via ULU’s Mission Statement
Urban Librarians Unite (ULU) is a professional group created to promote and support libraries, library staff, and librarianship in urban settings. Urban Librarian Unite facilitates dialog between libraries and library workers, encourages new developments in library science, and advocates for libraries and librarians in urban areas.
Citizen-Centric Library Advocacy: Building People Power for Your Branch
New York Comic Con – Professional Day, Summer 2017
Panel discussion on how can librarians and library patrons address some of the big issues challenging the field such as funding, net neutrality, and advocacy in every congressional district in the country. People already have the most important and valuable tool: your personal story.
Teen Convening South Florida Viewports: A Convergence of Teen Perspectives, Technology and Contemporary Art
Perez Art Museum Miami, Spring 2016
Panelist, Tech Talk – teen educators discussing the viability, impact, and future of technology in teen programs inside and outside of the classroom
VR on a Dime: Cyberzone
Florida Library Association: Annual Conference 2016
Presented the affordability of virtual reality with some creativity via Google Cardboard and your’s/your students’ smartphones. Encouraged a more durable VR goggle with Merge, and presented the educational benefits of ‘travelling’ with VR.
STEAM Zone: Robotics and Engineering at the Library
SEFLIN 2015 Regional Conference, July 2015
Poster presentation on STEAM Zone at the Miami-Dade Public Library System–a month-long theme of library events featuring Lego Mindstorms and system-wide programming via a mix of partnerships and vendors.
Knight Foundation Prototype Grant: Coworking Space
Dade County Library Association, Spring 2015 Conference
Presenting the findings of how human-centered design affected our approach to the grant process, market research on coworking in the library, and the viability of a free coworking space.
Community Advocates for Libraries in Miami
Co-founder, Site Manager